Tuesday 15 March 2011

Castle cake: Important lesson Learnt


I am thankful to see her smile.
Ever since i started baking, i had been planning to make a very beautiful cake. But every year
i failed, and she was disappointed. This year, i was so excited with many ideas, i decided to make a castle cake for her, since she is the little princess in the family. But...
She requested for her fav flavour, chocolate banana cake. I agreed and made it accordingly,using WHIPPED CREAM. I remembered that whipped cream cannot touch fondant, as it will melt the fondant. I thought i was smart enough to coat the cake with ganache so the fondant isnt touching the whipped cream. As i finished decorating the cake after about 4 hours.. i started to realised the cake looks weirder each time. The fondant was looking more like marshmallow? Crumpled kind? Then. It suddenly hit me that the whipped cream needs to be refrigerated, while the fondant cannot. At that  moment, i felt like shooting myself. The whipped cream was getting softer each minute. The worst mistake i made, was to put the whole cake into the fridge. I thought that after taking out from the fridge, i can put it into the aircon room and blow for many
hours and the fondant will harden. But... IT DID NOT!!! When the cake was brought to the place for my mei mei to cut, the whole cake just...
looked like this...
Imagine the disappointment? I was so regretful, and blaming myself. I quickly did another cake, for her to cut it the next day, which was her actual birthday. But.. it was a simple celebration at home. I am sure she will be beaming with happiness if the cake wasnt destroyed, as everyone tells her how pretty her cake it. Is okay, she was still happy with the second cake i made her.
I most probably just ruined my own reputation as a baker, but this is an important lesson for me. Which i will not do again. Please appreciate the photos below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment