Monday 26 March 2012

Giant Cupcake with Fairies


My sec 1 form teacher texted me a week or so before the party, and wanted me to make her daughters a fairy theme cake! Was so excited about it. I immediately thought about the fairies patchwork cutters, finally got a chance to purchase theme! We discussed a little, and leave the design entirely up to me! Was so stressed about it, because the birthday girl emphasize on the design, and her husband ( Another of my sec teacher , supervisor at work and adviser in life ) focused on the taste! 
I initially wanted to make a mushroom cake with fairies, but was afraid of the structure. Recommended a giant cupcake since i had always wanted to use my pan at home! But the (not so) giant cupcake pan at home,was too small to serve the number of guests at the party. Decided to bake the cakes in round tin, and carve the cupcake out! Wow, a little scary as it was my first attempt. Every move i made, was so afraid that i will trim too much! I wanted to make the cupcake appear to have 1M swirls, but couldnt imagine which part to trim. To make things simpler, i craved it to show round swirls instead!
After ganaching the cake, i realised the layers of cream was not as obvious as i wanted it to be. This is the problem of sculpting the cake. You will not be able to see the shape clearly until you actually cover it. But i was still happy with how it turned out to be!
Did the fairies using gumpaste and my newly bought patchwork cutters! :D Layered parts by parts, and slowly the fairies started to form the shape! So pretty right? Very time consuming though.. Maybe because i was watching a drama while doing it. The first fairy i took close to 2 hours to finish, and the rest approx 1 hour each? No idea how time zoom passed to quickly, and soon it was 5am!
This is my fav fairy! Love the blue colour. Many people liked the purple one, including the birthday girl :D
This is how the 1-step-less final cake look like! The final step: I changed the position to the pink fairy to the letter B! Didnt manage to snap a good photo of the final photo, but it looked very similar to this. Just imagine yea?
Birthday girl ( With mousey ears) with the cake! Remember doing her cookies last year for her birthday, at the same place. Watching her grow up, hopefully i can continue to bake for her! Happily waiting for her baby sister to be out in may :D
The cake was huge, so we had leftovers... Generally, i received good reviews from everyone! Happy day ended!

0 comments:

Post a Comment